Dinner - Captain Hollywoodland Chicken Strips

I have long been a fan of themed restaurants, which should come as no surprise considering they were all the rage during my childhood. I loved them so much, I even had a little graphing paper notebook filled with theme restaurant floor plans and ideas. Yeah, I was kind of a strange child. (To this day, I would love to own a restaurant and if I could only find that darn notebook, I am sure my younger self would have had some great ideas.)

The idea for these chicken strips comes to us from that fantastic early-90s themed restaurant Planet Hollywood. Sadly, the restaurant went through a bit of a rough patch in the late 90s prompting the close of many branches, including the branches I had attended as a kid.

Fast forward to a couple years ago. Matt and I saw Planet Hollywood while vacationing in Las Vegas. I begged to go have the fantastic Cap'n Crunch Chicken Strips (AKA World Famous Chicken Crunch), so we had them alongside two cocktails and a statue from Terminator. The chicken strips were every bit as tasty as I recalled!

I have always wanted to make something similar at home, so I adapted a recipe that included corn flake cereal to instead contain Cap'n Crunch. The cereal gives these chicken strips that same delicious sweet crunch found at Planet Hollywood.

On a side note, if you have heard (as I did) that Cap'n Crunch was being discontinued, I am happy to say that it is just a crazy internet hoax. I hope you make these chicken strips in celebration!

Captain Hollywoodland Chicken Strips

Ingredients:
-1 tablespoon oil
-4-1/2 cups crushed Cap'n Crunch cereal (Crushed it makes about 2-1/2 cups)
-1/2 teaspoon onion powder
-1-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon pepper
-1/2 cup flour
-2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins
-2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line large baking pan with foil, brush with oil.

In bowl, combine cereal, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In separate bowl, combine flour with remaining salt and pepper.

Coat chicken with flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip into egg, then coat with cereal again. Place on pan.

Bake until golden and cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts