Dessert - Orange Pound Cake

I made this recipe a few months ago, as a treat for hula class. My hula teacher is always doing me the favor of bringing some of her fave Hawaiian cookbooks to class for me to borrow. Problem with this is that I always like the cookbooks SO much that I end up purchasing a copy for my own collection!! (Yes, I love Hawaiian cookbooks so much that I somehow own at least 15 different ones.)

This recipe for Orange Pound Cake comes from one of these cookbooks she let me borrow, Cooking With Hawaiian Magic by Lee and Mae Keao. This cookbook has a fantastic variety of foods and desserts, also basic directions on how to do things related to Hawaiian cooking, and even tells you how to grow your very own pineapple! Consider that added to my list of things to do!

The cake has a nice light and delicious flavor, and is spiked with a healthy dose of bourbon! So really, you can't go too wrong with this one. It would be excellent alongside a nice cup of tea, or with your favorite cup of Kona coffee.

The only issue I had with this cake is one of my own accord...fully avoidable. I made this cake in a bit of a rush, so it was removed from the pan before it was cooled fully. Make sure that you cool the cake entirely, otherwise half of it will emerge from the pan crumbly. It was sad, but fortunately cake crumbs taste just as delicious as cake! If you are into making trifles, this cake recipe would also be great as the base for a trifle.

Orange Pound Cake

Ingredients:

Cake:
-1 cup margarine
-2 cups sugar
-5 eggs
-3 cups flour
-3 teaspoons baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-3/4 cup orange juice (must be fresh, not frozen)
-Grated rind of 1 orange

Glaze:
-1/4 cup margarine
-1/3 cup bourbon
-2/3 cup sugar

Grease and flour a tube pan (I used a Bundt pan and it worked fine). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
To make the cake, cream the margarine and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix dry ingredients together in another bowl, then add to wet batter alternating with orange juice, and ending with orange juice. Add grated rind.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in oven for 1 hour. Remove cake from oven.
Prepare the glaze by heating glaze ingredients in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Do not let this mixture boil!!
Prick the top of the cake with a fork and pour glaze evenly over the cake. Leave in pan until fully cooled. Enjoy!
Serves 10.

Comments

Popular Posts