Dinner - Summer Salad with Asiago, Pears and Cashews

Lately I have been trying to eat a bit more healthy. Well, in so far as eating more fresh stuff I guess you could say. Matt and I were pretty proud on our last shopping trip, as we only grabbed two or three items from the inside of the store, while everything else came from the non-processed/ non-prepared areas!!

Now don't think that the Kiefer Kitchen is getting all healthy on you. Just looking for a few good recipes that will help us lighten up this summer.

Salad has never been something I really enjoyed eating. It just really reminds me of eating just a bunch of leaves on a plate. Matt always says I'm probably the only girl he knows that doesn't like salad (well, my sister doesn't either, so I guess that makes two). I've been trying to get past that, since what adult doesn't eat salad?! Well I am sure there are some aside from me, but...

The start of my transformation to being someone who can tolerate salad came in the form of a deliciously sweet salad from Joey Buona's here in downtown Milwaukee. This particular salad, the Tuscan Harvest salad, contains a delicious combination of mixed greens, cranberries, apples, candied pecans, bleu cheese and is all topped with a sweet sort of raspberry vinaigrette dressing.

Of course, we all know that I like this salad simply because it is sweet and has candied things and fruit in it.

I found the recipe for this salad via Betty Crocker, in that fantastic little recipe card magazine I am always raving about. This recipe comes from last summer's issue which is packed full of delicious summery recipes. You can find a nice version (aka printable) of this recipe by clicking here.

This salad recipe gets the thumbs up from us, although if you make it, be sure to eat it all up as we tried to have leftovers the following day and it was a bad idea. The dressing recipe made plenty, was basic, simple to make, and it would be perfect on plain ol' mixed greens too.

Summer Salad with Asiago, Pears and Cashews

Ingredients:
Dressing:
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
-2 teaspoons honey
-1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard (we used stone ground mustard we had on hand)
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-1/8 teaspoon pepper

Salad:
-1 bag (5 oz.) mixed spring greens
-1/2 cup shaved Asiago cheese
-1 medium ripe pear, thinly sliced (we used a bartlett)
-1/2 cup cashew halves and pieces

Shake dressing ingredients in a small jar with tight-fitting lid.

In medium bowl, toss salad with dressing and arrange on serving tray.
Top with cheese, pear slices and cashews.
Serve immediately (they're not kidding!).

Comments

Popular Posts