Dinner - (2 nights ago..) Shepherd's Pie


Ok, I admit it. I have been completely lazy the past couple nights. Well not completely. I worked Thursday night so at least that occurred. Matt and I went to have a cocktail or two at Bryant's, our favorite bar in Milwaukee on Friday, and Saturday I really was lazy. I won't go into further detail but this weekend has been delightfully lazy!!

Thursday I randomly had off from my "day job" at the school, thanks to the crazy amount of snow we got here. So I decided to do all of our laundry, watch an insane amount of Dark Shadows on DVD (thanks to the Cudahy Library), and make one of our favorite recipes: Shepherd's Pie.

Shepherd's Pie is a recipe I cannot take credit for. My mom would make this all the time when I was still living at her house. It is simple, delicious, comforting and quick to put together. (I am going to start catagorizing my mom's recipes into a new category "From Mom's Cookbook", so if you want to check out some of her recipes, you should click there!)

The beautiful thing about this recipe is that you can easily have all the ingredients on hand and they keep for a good amount of time. You can literally buy the ingredients for this recipe in January and make it in March if you want.

It is one of the faves in our house because of this, it's great to throw together when you're short on time, and if the ingredients are already there, you have no excuse to go out to a restaurant!

Alright, on to the recipe:

Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients:
-2 lbs. ground beef or turkey meat (we actually use 1 lb. and it works just fine!)
-1 large onion, chopped (you can omit if you hate onion, like me, or substitute dried minced onion if desired)
-1 can peas (all canned items are regular 15 oz can size)
-1 can cream style corn
-1 can chopped carrots
-8 servings instant mashed potatoes

(if you feel particularly ambitious, you can use fresh peas/carrots and real mashed potatoes, but that would take a long time to make!! haha)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Make the instant mashed potatoes according to the package instructions.
Meanwhile, brown the beef or turkey, drain.

Put all ingredients EXCEPT MASHED POTATOES in a casserole dish and mix evenly.
Cover mixture with 8-servings of mashed potatoes and bake in oven 25 minutes.

Serves: I actually have no idea. 6-8?? We usually eat this and have leftovers for 2 days.
As for the casserole dish, I use a CorningWare French White 2-1/2 qt. Oval Casserole.
This is my go-to dish, and it rocks since it has a lid to store leftovers!!

Comments

  1. I love this recipe! We have made it a handful of times since you gave it to us for the wedding. So easy and usually we have everything in the house for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I would like to say superb blog! I had a quick question
    that I'd like to ask if you don't mind. I was interested to
    find out how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing.
    I've had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out there.
    I do take pleasure in writing however it just seems
    like the first 10 to 15 minutes are lost just trying to figure out how to begin.

    Any suggestions or hints? Thank you!

    website ()

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thank you for viewing my blog. I've been away from it for a while (too long) so maybe it is time to start again. If I am lost in writing I go back to that writing outline from grade school, start with the main idea then off to what I'd like to contain. I am also a person who likes to type what I mean, so I tend to edit very minimally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got cut off there, but basically just pretend I am telling someone about the recipe and go from there. Hopefully my voice comes through since that is what I aim for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope this helps and best of luck on your further writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts