Local Eats - Ono Kine Grindz


Today I had the pleasure of stopping at Ono Kine Grindz, a shop located in Wauwatosa (just west of Milwaukee). I'd been anxious to stop in, but the only time I am generally in Wauwatosa is for my haircut, and generally it is on a Tuesday, when the shop is closed! Well today I was in luck, having my appointment on a Wednesday!!

Ono Kine Grindz is entirely devoted to Hawaiian food, drink, treats, sauces, general cooking ingredients and clothing. They have loads of great things and it was hard for me to leave the shop with what I had in my basket, since I could have easily purchased half of the store!

The owners of the shop are super nice as well (I think their names are David and Guy?). I was offered a sample of their Kahlua pork, and my what a generous and delicious sample! The pork was fantastic and had a nice smokiness that really brought back memories of the Hawaiian luau I attended back in 2001. You can actually purchase their pork in a pouch, which is a great idea for a quick take-out dinner. I bought a portion like this, and I know Matt and I will enjoy it in a few days!

They had a great selection of Hawaiian teriyaki, bbq and hot sauces, and I picked up one of the teriyaki flavors-mango pineapple. They also carry lots of Hawaiian cooking ingredients (really "Pacific Rim" cooking ingredients, if you will) such as mochiko, rice vinegar, soy sauce, etc... It is a great place to stop for these as prices seemed reasonable!

Ono Kine Grindz also offers lunch plates, hot coffee and tea. I got one of the teas in the Maui Mango flavor, and it was quite good! They also carry many packaged Hawaiian goods, such as pancake mixes, Hawaiian Host macadamia products, and various varieties of Hawaiian coffees and teas. I was also impressed with their selections of rice and salts. They have several different varieties to choose from, and would be an excellent addition to any meal!

If you are in the Milwaukee area, love food or Hawaii (or both!) and are looking for a unique place to stop, Ono Kine Grindz is perfect!
The shop is located at: 7215 W. North Ave. Wauwatosa (414) 778-0727
You may wish to call regarding hours before visiting, although here is a link to their facebook page.

Comments

Popular Posts