Breakfast - Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins


As I briefly mentioned in my last dinner post, I'm constantly on a quest for a good recipe to use up those over-ripe bananas.

I've attempted to make banana bread multiple times with little success. Seriously I hate making banana bread. I think my oven is allergic or something. It never turns out quite right, with the most notable banana bread "fail" being the time it looked entirely beautiful until being sliced into, when it was gross and entirely gooey inside. Not fair. I mean, I love to eat banana bread, just can't bake it for some reason.

Well, I think my banana bread cure has come in the form of these single serve banana chocolate chip muffins, which came out beautifully and quite tasty.

The recipe comes from a fantastic Taste of Home special publication titled (simply) "Cupcakes & Muffins". I am not seeing the magazine still for sale on their website, however if you are ever in the Milwaukee area (Greendale specifically) you should stop by their lovely shop in downtown Greendale. It is truthfully an awful place because they have so many great cookbooks there, many for very cheap. I have a problem going there and buying cookbooks, so I try to avoid it as much as possible. Oh yeah, and they sell cookies there too. It is like my own personal bad decision zone.

Anyways, Taste of Home also has a ton of great recipe emails you can sign up for, my fave being the "cupcake of the month" email. You can sign up for it here and find more great recipes, many of which are from the above mentioned special publication.

So the muffins baked up really well, and the time of 20 minutes that the recipe calls for was perfect for my oven. I also doubled the recipe so I can give some away (hi mom and dad). The recipe actually made MORE than it said it would (a rare thing in baking!), so I ended up with 2 dozen regular size muffins, and 14 mini muffins.

The muffins are also tasty and not too sweet. The sweetness mainly comes from the light banana flavor and the chocolate chips. Hope you enjoy these if you make them!! I believe this will be our new go-to recipe for those smushy bananas!

Banana Chip Muffins

Ingredients:
-1 - 3/4 cups flour
-1/4 cup sugar
-2 - 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
-3/4 teaspoon salt
-1 egg (I use large pretty exclusively)
-1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
-1/3 cup vegetable oil
-1/2 cup EACH mashed ripe banana and unsweetened applesauce
-1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

In large bowl (or mixer bowl) combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

Combine egg, milk, oil, banana, and applesauce in another bowl. Stir wet ingredients into dry until just moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.

Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.

Makes 1 dozen

Comments

  1. Mmm I might make these tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these on my snow day. I upped the banana and halved the oil and made them in a giant muffin pan. Next time I might omit the oil all together. So delicious! This might be my new favorite banana bread recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts